To be successful in health care, Stormont Vail recommends that the most important quality employees need to have is a dedication to providing quality customer service. Regardless whether a person works directly with patients, health care employees must want to help and serve others.
Health care professionals need to:
- Work collaboratively and in teams;
- Be good at forming and maintaining relationships;
- Have compassion and empathy;
- Be sensitive to their colleagues and those they serve; and
- Show respect for human dignity and the emotional challenges that patients and their families often go through in a health care situation.
Because health care continues to be technology driven, future health care workers must be comfortable using technology and learning new software and equipment. All processes are being automated and digitized, from patient records to pharmacy.